There are some elements of podcasting that I've been sure to include in each project. Still, it doesn't seem to be enough to push students into the successful category.
Essential Podcasting Elements
- Creation of a script or storyboard.
- Clear requirements and guidelines.
- Periodic due dates.
- Documentation of images/copyrighted information.
- Listen to podcast examples prior to start.
- Last minute scrambling to get podcast published.
- Developing ownership in the project.
- Adequate space to record quietly.
- Students suddenly locked out of iPhoto, can't incorporate photos.(Think this is a network issue, though it affected kids doing iPhoto books, not so much podcasts)
Improvements for next year:
- First time podcasts are short, and viewing of podcasts is for feedback purposes. (We did this but the second podcast came too late.)
- Try single group podcasts - one group per week instead of whole class. This step eliminates the noise factor and may help to develop ownership in the podcast since it would be the only podcast published in a given week.